Devotional for Day 7 – 12 August 2013
Ian Shelton, Coordinator of One Heart for the Nation, Australia
Intention: The unity of the church is the Lord’s means for reaching the world and saving souls, and as such this should be the priority of every Christian and especially every leader.
Scripture: (Father) I pray that (Christians) will all be ONE just as You and I are…so that the world will believe You sent Me (John 17:21 NLT).
…that (Christians) may become ONE and PERFECTLY UNITED, that the world may know… (John 17:23 AMP).
Reflection: According to the Bible, unity is a necessity for soul-winning. The division and brokenness of the Church in most communities diminishes God’s glory, and at best, is seen negatively by most non-Christians. Christians should be able to love one another.
Imagine if pastors and congregations in each community began to seek the welfare of other pastors and congregations above their own. Imagine if pastors and congregations worked together to bring healing to the brokenness of their community.
The average community is unravelling, which manifests in the breakdown of marriages, youth delinquency, drugs, suicide and much more. Our modern communities are full of relational pain. However, only too often many Christians themselves are victims of society’s brokenness—including pastors and leaders. Humble pastors and leaders need to begin the journey, through prayer, to bring healing to one another and to the Church of the community.
Only a healed, unified Church is able to heal a broken, divided community. There is something very impacting in seeing dozens of pastors who love one another testifying how they and their families have been strengthened by the love they have received from one another.
As this relational unity grows to touch, heal and impact the congregation members, the love of Christ cannot help overflowing to needy souls all around them.
Christ’s prayer is for unity of the Church in order to reach the world. Soul-winners will always be the greatest advocate for the unity of the Church. The greatest prayer of the Bible is the high-priestly prayer of Jesus in John 17, and as such should be our priority prayer because it is our obedience to love one another that provides the answer to the prayer.
Prayer: Father, teach us to pray in unison with Your Son that we, the Church, may be completed and perfected in unity in each community in our nation. Forgive us for our disunity and division, for our neglect of each other’s needs, for the critical words and attitudes against each other. Cleanse us from this proud spirit that elevates myself, my ministry and my congregation above the needs of other Christians in other congregations.
Father, fill us afresh with the loving heart of sacrificial service that unites and heals the Church and overflows to needy communities. Amen.
Continue in prayer using the 4 prayer points as the Lord leads you.
- Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
- Pray for a billion people to find Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
- Pray for an end to abortion and for God to turn back the tide of death and immorality that is sweeping the nations of the world.
- Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.
[Blogger’s comment: Today I want to tell you about other resources that can help you throughout these 40 days of prayer, fasting and repentance.
- The International House of Prayer in Kansas City (IHOPKC) are joining in this Global Prayer Call by dedicating two of their six intercession sets in the 24/7 Prayer Room each day to the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call. In these two hour sessions there will be worship and prayer that will include at least some intercession for the above prayer points as the Lord leads. This will be at 6 am and 8 pm USA CST (Central Standard Time) for this first week. You can join them in their free live streaming or you can go to those times in their archives by clicking on 6 am or 8 pm any day (listen for the whole 2 hours if possible because there will be worship first then prayer). We will let you know the times for the second week as they are released.
- Know that others around the world are joining you in fasting during this Global Prayer Call. IHOPKC started 21 days of fasting for consecration on 6 August leading up to Mike Bickle’s Book of Daniel Symposium at the end of August. A reader yesterday was challenged about fasting but wanted to know how to start. You can listen to some instruction on this by Warwick Marsh of the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call Team as he speaks on the Power of Prayer and Fasting.
- Today I am posting some translations of the information about the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call on the website under the We have Spanish, Hindi, and Korean so far. We are looking for translations of the basic information on the poster or the media release in other languages as soon as possible. We especially need Chinese, Bahasa, Portuguese, Japanese, French, South Pacific languages and Hausa (Nigeria) translations but we can post any. Only through this means will the prayer call get to grassroots Christians in the villages (perhaps through a radio campaign) who often gather as whole communities to pray. Spread this need and pray that many will take up this challenge to translate. Leave a message here if you can help.
That’s plenty to think about, pray about and act upon today! God bless you to be a blessing to the world.]