Devotional for Day 17 – 22 August 2013
Intention: God wants to transform entire communities – not just individuals. He can change desperate situations that seem impossible to us.
Scripture: If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain… or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land (2 Chronicles 7:13-14 NASB).
Reflection: Sins such as idolatry, bloodshed, and broken covenants defile the land – literally. But if we repent and return to God He promises to heal the land – literally.
In Almolonga, Guatemala, villagers had worshiped an idol for 500 years. Many men were alcoholics who beat their wives and did not provide for their families. Drunks slept in the streets and jailors sent their overflow to surrounding prisons. Today, 88% of villagers are Christians, priests have taken their idol elsewhere, and all four jails closed – no longer needed. Parents teach children to work hard, and the village prospers. Even in drought, moist soil in Almolonga produces giant vegetables which villagers sell to several countries.
Desperate Christians in Manchester, Kentucky began to pray together, repent, and, at God’s direction, they marched against drugs and corruption. 22 corrupt officials were jailed. Churches work together with government agencies to rehabilitate young people from drugs, and funerals of young people are no longer common. Even the land is being healed. The ecology has changed so black bear, Rocky Mountain elk, wild turkeys, and large fish now supplement the diet of the poor.
Desperation is a common element in these stories of contemporary transformation. Christians set aside differences of doctrine and practice to pray together and then obeyed what He showed them to do.
Prayer: Lord, may Your kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Thank you Your fire has fallen in communities in our lifetime, with many saved & restored, the land healed, and social structures and governments dramatically changed.
Forgive our complacency with less than You desire for our lives, families, communities, and nations. Give us Your heart for the lost. Teach us what to pray and do. Increase our hunger to spend time in Your presence and Your Word. Help us learn to hear Your voice. Do not let us be satisfied until we see Your glory. In Jesus’ name.
[Blogger’s Comment: Our Scripture today is the theme text for the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call. So it is a good time to think more around this well known verse. Read it in its context today. Go back to verse 11 to see that this is what the LORD said to Solomon in a night vision after he had done all that God told him to do in building the temple and royal palace in Jerusalem. The LORD said “When…, if…, then …”. Take a look for yourself right now at each of the statements after the underlined words and let God speak to you about the principles found here and then apply these to your own situation in whatever country you live today.
Carol in this devotion shares two stories of where God has healed the land in response to his people humbling themselves, putting aside their differences and coming together in unity for prayer with fasting and repentance. The giant vegetables in the image above are actually from Almolonga after the land was healed. Such stories have been recorded in the Transformation Videos that have inspired many worldwide since their release beginning in 1999. You can find these and more resources at www.SentinelGroup.org. In particular we recommend:
- The DVDs on stories of transformation in different communities around the world.
- The by George Otis Jnr. This teaching is designed to prepare communities for a Divine visitation and subsequent societal transformation.
Are we desperate for this to happen in our society?
I recommend you read “Lord, Do It Again!” which is Chapter 26 of Prepare the Way for Revival by Ian Malins, writer of Devotional 5. You can order other resources also by Ian at www.omega-discipleship.com.
- Listen to David Wilkinson speak passionately on Anguish.
- Order Desperate Prayer by John Mulinde of Uganda.
- Use these three 52-Day Prayer Guides to help you pray regularly.
- Get serious about fasting for spiritual breakthrough.
- Elmer L Towns says “If every Christian fasted, the results could shake our society like a windstorm bending a sapling”. Isaiah 58:6-8 says that God has chosen fasts that loosen the bonds of wickedness, undo heavy burdens, let the oppressed go free, break every yoke, give bread to the hungry and provide housing for the poor, allow the people’s light to break forth like the morning, cause their health to spring forth speedily, cause their righteousness to go before them and cause the glory of the Lord to be their reward. Sounds like transformation doesn’t it?
(Elmer L Towns book Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough is based on these verses and goes through 9 Biblical fasts – one for each section of these verses.)
- Do something practical today to promote or support unity among church leaders and Christians in your location?
Continue signing our theme song with the words ‘Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ2iyW6TGQ
Continue in prayer using the 4 prayer points as the Lord leads you.
- Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
- Pray for a billion people to find Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
- Pray for an end to abortion and for God to turn back the tide of death and immorality that is sweeping the nations of the world.
- Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.