Devotional for Day 36 – 10 Sept 2013
Liz Adleta, Ethne Movement Prayer Workgroup Facilitator
Intention: Over 1.8 billion people or 27.9% of the world’s population have almost no access to see or hear the gospel within their own culture. These groups are known as
Scripture: ”How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?” (Romans 10:14 NIV)
Reflection: God’s heart is that none should perish and Jesus died that whosoever believes might receive everlasting life. Yet in today’s world, over one in four people do not have the opportunity to hear that good news! Why? Huge barriers of geography, language, politics, and culture stand in the way. Sometimes believers nearby are simply unaware or unconcerned about the need of unreached groups because the groups are isolated from the society as a whole where they live.
Jesus commanded His disciples to ask the Lord of the Harvest to thrust forth laborers;
we can obey that command and see our world transformed by the power of His love.
Let’s repent of our fear or hesitation to obey His commands and to be fruitful disciples
that multiply other obedient disciples from our own home towns to the ends of the earth
Prayer: Father, forgive me for my reluctance and fear to be a bold witness to those around me. Give me Your heart of love for every person, even those I would consider enemies. Help me to truly grow up to fully be like Jesus and to reproduce other obedient disciples who do likewise. Help me to recognize the hearts of those around me that the Holy Spirit has prepared to hear and respond to the gospel. Use me to share in appropriate ways and at appropriate times. Give much fruit that remains for Your glory and transforms my community and the world. Thank You that it’s never too late to sow the seeds of the Word of God and to be Your hands and feet to my world! For Your glory among the nations, and in His Matchless Name I pray, Amen!
[Blogger’s Comment: This devotion today is very close to my heart. I was a missions mobilizer in Papua New Guinea for 20 years encouraging the church of the South Pacific to pray, give and go so that the unreached may hear the Gospel. My husband and I wrote a book called “Launch Out! A Challenge to the churches of the South Pacific to Cross-cultural Missions” which could be used in any setting. We could send it to you as a pdf file if it would be helpful to you.
Praise God that the once-receiving Church in the non-Western world is catching the vision to take the Gospel to the unreached. The top 5 missionary sending countries in 2010 were:
- China – 100,000 missionaries.
- USA – 93,000 missionaries.
- India – 82,000 missionaries.
- South Korea – 19,950 missionaries.
- Nigeria – 6,644 missionaries.
Friends of ours have worked for nearly 20 years in China and have seen the amazing things God has done there. As they pondered what their role was now in China, God spoke to them about local churches reaching out to the unreached minority peoples in their own province. Last news from them is that, after much prayer concerning this, a local church which they have input into through training leaders, is about to make their first missionary visit to an unreached group in their province.
There are three excellent websites where you can learn all about unreached peoples.
1. www.ethne.net has much information to inform you and help you pray.
- About Ethne (report to WEA MC).
- 2.28 min video highlighting 6,965 least reached people groups by region and giving prayer points for them.
- Prayer resources including written materials. and
- Website tutorials on Unreached People Groups.
- Prayer profiles for the unreached people group of the day (and sign up for these to come to your email, phone, webpage etc regularly).
- A strategy to reach an unreached people group using Facebook.
3. www.mup.org (Missions to the Unreached) has resources available too including:
- A powerful 3-min video on unreached people.
- to other groups’ materials on UPGs.
- of good written resources on church planting movements.
God is stirring my heart once again to get more involved in praying for the unreached.
Why don’t you pray now about how God would have you participate in the future?
Return to this email after the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call and make use of the excellent resources available in this technological age.
Really there are no excuses for prayerlessness.
“NOW WE KNOW.
(the ending of the MUP video)
Continue in prayer, with fasting and repentance, using the 4 prayer points as the Lord leads you.
- Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
- Pray for a billion people to find Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
- Pray for an end to abortion and for God to turn back the tide of death and immorality that is sweeping the nations of the world.
- Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.