Devotional for Day 15 – 20 August 2013
Andy Wooding Jones, World Prayer Centre, Birmingham, UK
Intention: Using familiar verses from Hebrews 12 to discover both what we should pray and how we should pray as we devote ourselves to prayer during this season.
Scripture: Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart
(Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV).
Reflection: As we pray, there are some important reminders in these verses to strengthen us.
- We are not alone! As we pray let us draw encouragement from those whose faith-filled lives, even in times of difficulty and challenge, have reflected the faithfulness of God. May we not grow weary or lose heart as we pray.
- As we pray ask God to show us the hindrances in our communities, nations and around the globe which create resistance to revival. Pray these hindrances may be thrown off.
- As we pray ask God that the entangling sin affecting so many lives today may be completely broken and people find freedom in Jesus.
- And as we pray, let’s ask God for a renewed desire to seek Jesus first and let us fix attention on Him. There is so much to distract us. Let us not grow weary or lose heart especially when opposition comes for Jesus has gone before us.
- Give thanks for Jesus, using these verses.
Prayer: Lord, as we meditate on these verses, we want to say sorry for the times when we have become hindered and entangled with sin. Please set us free.
Please show us how we can pray freedom over our community and nations so that those around us would we free – fixing their eyes on Jesus and seeking Him first.
We thank you for all whose faithfulness has encouraged us and especially we thank you for the example of Jesus Christ. Help us to keep considering Him and learning from His life and from all He endured for us. In His precious name we pray. Amen.
[Blogger’s Comment: As we enter the third week of our 40 days, let us devote ourselves to prayer, fasting and repentance. The Lord honours persistent prayer. Regardless of fatigue, obstacles, discouragements or doubt, keep praying with fasting and repentance. Wesley L. Duwel in his book Prevailing Prayer says,
Prevailing prayer is prayer that pushes right through all difficulties and obstacles and drives back all the opposing forces of Satan, and secures the will of God. It’s purpose is to accomplish God’s will on earth. Prevailing prayer not only takes the initiative, but continues on the offence for God until spiritual breakthrough is won.
GOOD NEWS! The call is getting out through various means. We are now recording
1 million reaches daily on our posts on the Facebook page. Join our event and share it!
Our goal is to reach 10 million so that 1 million are praying for 1 billion to be saved!
We need helpers, who have a passion for any particular aspect of the prayer goals, to post (as an administrator) one thing a day on the topic so it comes out in our news-feed (time required 2-3 mins daily). Contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
PRAYER NEEDED! Tonight in Australia the TV Series The Bible will show the episode on the death and resurrection of Christ and offer the gift of eternal life and a free Bible to the
1 million plus who are tuning in each week. Pray that many will accept, be saved and followed up!
Today prevail in prayer that God’s Kingdom may come and God’s Will be done on earth in relation to our 4 prayer goals as stated by Australian Warwick Marsh in this 1 min YouTube.
- Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
- Pray for a billion people to find Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
- Pray for an end to abortion and for God to turn back the tide of death and immorality that is sweeping the nations of the world.
- Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.